Chocolate is possibly the best-known toxin to our canine friends. But do you know why?
Chocolate contains Theobromine, a compound that humans can easily metabolize. Dogs, on the other hand, have a difficult time processing Theobromine, causing it to build up in their bodies and produce serious side effects. Severe cases of chocolate toxicity can lead to muscle tremors, seizures, heart arrhythmia, or even death.
The "darker" the chocolate, the higher the Theobromine content - baking chocolate and dark chocolate are more dangerous than milk chocolate. Only 2 squares of baking chocolate or 6 oz of semi-sweet chips can cause severe toxicity in a 20-pound dog.
Prompt treatment is essential, so if you suspect your dog has ingested chocolate, call your veterinarian right away. The ASPCA's Pet Poison Helpline is available 24/7 at 855-764-7661 for off-hours emergencies.
Make sure your leftover candy and kids' Trick-or-Treat stashes are kept safe from your dog's reach!